ARTHROSCOPIC ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR
A rotator cuff is a group of muscles surrounding the shoulder joint which control some movements of the shoulder & contribute to its stability. It typically consists of four different types of muscles:-
- Teres minor
A strain or tear in any of these muscles is termed as a ‘rotator cuff tear’. Of these four muscles, the Supraspinatus muscles are highly prone to tearing. The muscles may get damaged partially or entirely based on the impact of the traumatic force. Complete tears are usually classified according to the extent of their size, i.e., Small, Medium, Large & Massive tears.
Symptoms of Rotator Cuff Tears:
In case of a rotator cuff muscle tear, the patient will face difficulty in overhead activities. Other commonly occurring symptoms include:
- Pain within the shoulder muscles
- Disturbed sleep when lying on the damaged cuff side.
- Sudden weakness in the shoulder joint.
- Difficulty and pain while raising the arm
Rotator Cuff Tear Treatment:
- Depending on the severity of the tear, either non-surgical or surgical procedures can be used for treatment.
- Non-surgical treatments consist of physiotherapy programs and pain medications to improve the movement of the joint and reduce the pain.
- If the condition doesn’t improve with these conservative treatments, an arthroscopic surgical procedure can help solve the problem.
Arthroscopic Tendon Repair:
- In this key-hole type procedure, the surgeon inserts an arthroscope and other tools through the small hole incisions that are made to reach the damaged tendon and reattach it to the bone.
- It is the most minimally invasive technique which provides swift recovery.
As the tear can be repaired both surgically and non-surgically, our surgeons at Saishree will thoroughly guide you through all your options for repairing your rotator cuff tears before undergoing shoulder arthroscopy in Pune.