Gastrointestinal department handles the treatment for diseases of the body parts involved in digestion. This includes esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, and rectum. Apart from this, our Saishree Hospital Gastroenterologist’s team also deals with treatments related to liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.
The conditions such as constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, perianal infections, diverticular diseases, colitis, and cancer comes under gastrointestinal disorders and depending on the complexity of the disease, our doctor suggests the personalized treatment (medication/diet/surgery). The gastrointestinal surgery is recommended to a patient after unsuccessful attempts of treating the disorder with medication and diet.
Below are the gastrointestinal disorders that can be treated with surgery :
- Appendicitis : In case of an infected or inflamed appendix, this surgery helps with the removal of the appendix.
- Colon cancer or any gastrointestinal cancer : In case of any cancerous tumor present in the digestive track, surgical treatment is recommended for the removal of the cancer infected parts (pancreas, liver, or intestine).
- Diverticular Disease : In case a patient has a lot of diverticular (a small pocket in the colon or large intestine) which gets inflamed, it is operated with surgical treatment approach.
- Gallbladder Disease : This surgery, medically termed as cholecystectomy, refers to the removal of gallbladder in case there is a problem diagnosed with gallbladder such as gallstones.
- Hernia : Hernia is a medical condition when a part of the body comes in contact with a hole in the wall of the muscles or connective tissue which was meant to protect it (example, the abdomen). Our gastrointestinal surgeons help repair this hole or any such weak spot.