Are you overweight and suffering from knee pain? Learn these 5 simple exercises that you can easily perform.
In India, more than 150 million Individuals suffer from knee pain, which makes sense considering more than 135 million Individuals In India are overweight or obese. That extra kg weight, strain your knees leading to severe discomfort and other knee-related complications like arthritis or osteoarthritis. Physical activity, on the other hand, can help you lose inches and fat, develop lean muscle, and keep your knees in good health.
Exercising/ working out can be intimidating at times, especially if you have a bad knee. Fortunately, exercise does not have to be difficult or unpleasant in order to be beneficial! Low-impact and gentle workouts are ideal for your knees. These seven exercises will help you reduce stress on your knee joints while increasing flexibility and strength.
1. Hamstring Stretch
- Seated on the leading edge of your chair, extend one leg out in front of you, heel on the floor, toes pointed towards the ceiling.
- Then, sit up straight and try to push your navel towards your thigh without leaning your trunk forward.
- Repeat for each leg three times.
2. Calf Raises
- Turn to face the back of your chair.
- Raise your heels as high as you can, then lower them slowly.
- Perform three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions.
3. Calf Stretch
- Face towards the back of your chair, one leg straight behind you and the other bent slightly in front of you.
- With a light grip, place your hands over the top of your chair.
- Maintain a straight back leg with both heels on the floor, and lean your torso towards the top of your chair. This should be felt in the calf of your back leg.
- Hold for a few seconds before switching legs. Repeat for one minute.
4. Straight Leg Raises
- Lie down on your back with one leg bending at an angle of 90 degrees and one foot flat on the floor. Extend your other leg completely.
- Tighten your quadriceps (thigh muscles) and elevate your raised leg to an angle of 45 degrees.
- Maintain this raised position for 1 or 2 seconds before slowly lowering your leg to the ground.
- Perform three sets of eight to twelve repetitions.
5. Hamstring Curls
- Lie on your stomach flat.
- Bring your heels as close to your buttocks as possible and hold that position.
- Perform three sets of 15 repetitions.
NOTE: A little discomfort during exercise is completely normal and healthy. If you experience severe pain, stop exercising immediately and consult with your doctor/physiotherapist.
- knee pain overweight
- knee pain exercise
- exercise for overweight knee pain
- overweight knee pain relief
- exercises for overweight people
- exercises for knee pain
- obese knee pain exercises
- exercises for knee strengthening