Many people postpone their knee replacement surgery until the pain restricts their movement and take a massive toll over their lifestyle. Knee replacement surgery in Pune is one of the most-effective and preferred surgeries for patients suffering from osteoarthritis. However, one must sign-up for the operation at the right time. Delay in the surgery may not offer a 100% satisfactory result, and if performed early, it may trigger other uninvited health conditions.
Planning to undergo total knee replacement surgery can be a life-changing experience for most of the patients. Many fear the surgical risks and hence, keep postponing the appointment. In this blog, we will find out how delaying the surgery can affect your knees, and when is the right time to have the surgery?
It takes years for some people to come in terms with the need for knee replacement surgery. They keep ignoring the appointments and skip follow-up meetings with the doctor unless the pain and mobility problems become unbearable.
Surgery is a big decision. Not to forget mentioning the expense and cost of bringing yourself back in the game post-surgery. So, the doctors first recommend patients to undergo a less invasive treatment. It includes:
- Prescribed medicines
- Few lifestyle changes
- Strengthening exercises
- Alternative therapies
If all these options fail to alleviate the patient’s knee pain, the best knee specialist in Pune would suggest TKR (Total Knee Replacement).
When is the right time to perform knee surgery?
A knee specialist will first examine and evaluate the patient’s medical history, physical health, and pain experienced by the patient. To do so, the orthopaedic surgeon will conduct an X-ray and if required MRI scan to assess the severity of degenerative changes. After the thorough examination, if the doctor recommends the TKR procedure, you should listen to it. Doctors measure all the pros and cons of surgery before performing on the individual patient. They will discuss the scenario with you and expect to follow the guidelines strictly.
Delaying the surgery can lead to the following concerns:
- Other bone issues around and below the knee joints
- Awkward movement of knees takes a toll over your hips.
- Malfunctioning of knee joints weakens the surrounding muscles and ligaments.
- Excruciating pain while walking, driving, prolonged sitting, or standing.
- Unable to manage daily household chores
- Complications which may restrict the full benefits of TKR surgery
- Depression due to lack of movement
Not to forget mentioning the physiological problems that may affect your career, relationships, and social life. Older people who choose timely surgery have higher chances of successful and permanent results.
Am I prepared for the knee surgery?
When Doctors advice you that knee surgery is your only chance to alleviate the pain and regain your mobility. So, it’s wise to do it sooner rather than later. Before finalizing the date of your knee surgery, consider the below points:
- Is there someone who can take care of you at the hospital and remain present 24×7?
- Call someone who can prepare your meals and perform household chores during your recovery time.
- Ask a driver or someone you trust to pick-up and drop you to the hospital during your follow-up appointments.
- Prepare your house for easy movement – Avoid stairs, keep entertainment mediums in a reachable distance. A recliner will be a blessing during the healing process.
- Find someone who can look after the children, pets, and other people who are solely dependent on you.
- Talk to your insurance provider and arrange the funding before choosing the surgery date.
- Apply for work leave sooner so that by the time you proceed with the surgery, you already have the time-off in your hands
- Ask your surgeon if they will be available all the time or are planning to go on a vacation?
- Talk to a home trainer and hire him/her to help you with the recovery process.
On average, it takes 6-8 weeks for people to resume their daily work and a healthy lifestyle. During this time, you need to pay attention to details, strictly follow your doctor’s advice, and never skip the follow-up appointments.
To learn more about knee replacement procedure, costs, and appointment booking, visit our Saishree Hospital website to get in touch with our professionals.